Nourish is a student movement to address global poverty through social entrepreneurship. Join Nourish to start businesses, partner with communities abroad, gain leadership skills, and make a lasting impact on extreme poverty.
“With Nourish you have the chance, as a student, to really run something that’s going to make a meaningful impact on a global scale.” -Paul, Wake Forest University Chapter Founder 2010
Is there a Nourish Chapter at your school? Check here.
Want to learn more about Nourish’s mission? Check it out here.
Nourish is looking for students to open Chapters at their school in the fall of 2015:
We’re looking for:
- Motivated and involved student leaders
- Individuals who want to make a tangible impact on their campuses and in the lives of others
- Students from different and diverse academic backgrounds
- Both high school and college students can apply.
The Role of a Chapter Founder:
- Recruit and manage a team
- Develop real-world leadership skills
- Execute and incubate social businesses
- Manage the search and selection of and international project partner
- Invest in international development projects and if able intern internationally for 6-8 weeks during the summer
- Enact substantial change in the lives of others
If selected, your Chapter will receive:
- $500 in start-up capital and $3,000 per year of in-kind support (financial management, one-on-one mentorship, etc.) from the Nourish International National Office
- Programs to support you and further your impact such as:
- Annual Summer Institute
- Online resources, curriculum and training
- Phone mentorship throughout the year from National Office Staff and Nourish Alumni
- Investment from our Venture Fund where you can apply for additional investments for your small businesses
- The Bridge Scholars Program to provide financial support for students to travel abroad
- And many more programs
- Nourish’s national brand will identify your Chapter as part of a larger student movement to make a lasting impact on extreme poverty.
- Early Decision deadline: January 26, 2015
- Regular Decision deadline: March 31, 2015
- Late and Extended Decision deadline: May 11, 2015
“If you are looking for a way to try out your most ambitious ideas with the help, hands, and hearts of other like-minded people, Nourish is the place for you.”– Allie Gates, UCLA Grad and former Ventures Director
How do I apply?
You will need to submit a resume and short answer questions. There is a $30 application fee. As part of the application process we ask every applicant to build a core team with two other individuals who are committed to helping you found the Chapter. There will be a place to list these individuals on your application, but they do not have to fill out an application themselves. There is also the option to apply as a group. In a group application, two, three, or four people can each complete an application that we will consider together. Applying as a team can strengthen your application as it shows strong interest on your campus and a dedicated group to start the Chapter. If you are applying as a group, there is a place to mark that on your application and each member of the group applying must pay the application fee.
What is Nourish looking for in an applicant?
We are looking for motivated students who are interested in global development and social entrepreneurship and have a history of achievement. Students need to be willing to put in the hard work to get a Chapter up and running and have skills in team management and leadership.
I’m only a freshman. Does that hurt my chances
No, actually, it helps because you have three years left on your campus to really establish your Chapter. In your application, feel free to mention your accomplishments from high school.
How much of a time commitment will being a Chapter Founder entail?
Founding a Chapter will likely be very time consuming. Students should be prepared to designate it as their number one priority outside of schoolwork and classes. That being said, it will be an extremely rewarding and valuable experience!
Who is eligible to apply?
Anyone who will be on campus through the spring semester of 2016, including graduate students. Seniors will likely not be able to apply unless they are planning to continue their education at the same school. We encourage students to apply together and co-found a chapter.
What if I want to study abroad for second semester?
You will need someone to apply with you as a Co-Founder so that there is continuity in leadership for the full 2015-2016 school year.
What kind of training and support will I receive from the National Office?
All new chapters receive $500 in start-up capital, one-on-one mentoring for leaders in the chapter, access to the Nourish Network of students and alumni and a number of other programs to support you and further your impact. We also require all Chapter Founders to attend the Summer Institute. This training institute provides you with the tools that you need to start your chapter!
When will I hear back about the status of my application?
You will hear back 2-3 weeks after submitting your application.
How do Nourish Chapters select their community partners and Projects?
Nourish Chapters form partnerships with international community-based organizations to collaboratively work on a sustainable development Project directly addressing poverty in that community. Chapters search for community partners through past Nourish partnerships, professor connections, and other suggested databases. Chapters and the National Office work together to analyze the organization and possible partnership based on our Project criteria.
How do Nourish Chapters pay for the Project?
All the funds that Nourish Chapters earn through Ventures are invested directly in the project. Students traveling on the Project are responsible for their own travel and living expenses. These costs vary depending on the location of the project and whether or not the community partner provides accommodations. The National Office runs the Bridge Scholarship Program to provide scholarships for exceptional students demonstrating financial need.
What happens next if I’m selected?
If you are selected as a Nourish Chapter Founder, you will receive some training over the summer. Then, at least one member from your new Chapter must attend our Summer Institute in August. This is a time to connect with and learn from current, past, and new Nourish students on how to run Nourish on your campus.This training institute provides you with the tools that you need to start your chapter! The cost is $200, which covers lodging, meals, all workshops, speakers, materials, and activities for the full 5 days. Institute attendees are responsible for their own transportation to Chapel Hill, NC.